[mrtg] interface names instead of numbers?

Varosky, Geoff Geoff.Varosky at reonbroadband.com
Fri Sep 21 20:45:41 MEST 2001

currently, per target, for bandwith utilization monitoring, we are doign
this per target, as an example:

Target[router-1-multi-link-ppp-port-1]: 50:community at 1.2.3.4

is there anyway to watch an interface name or description instead if the
interface number?

an snmpwalk shows the port as: interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.50 =
"MultiLinkPPP: mp.1"

like, would there be anyway to do:

Target[router-1-multi-link-ppp-port-1]: "MultiLinkPPP:
mp.1":community at 1.2.3.4

as if we add new interfaces, the interface number changes, so we have to
manually go in and change it, every time, and for several hundred routers,
it is no fun at all...

thanks!!!

Regards,
Geoff Varosky
Network Operations
REON Broadband - Putting Real Estate on NET
300 Nickerson Road
Marlborough, MA 01752
phone:  508-787-3434 ext. 1529
pager:  pager at varosky.com