[mrtg] Re: MRTG problem

Dana Hudes dhudes at hudes.org
Tue Sep 25 17:16:37 MEST 2001

btw my previous note I neglected to multiply by 1000000

40 Megabits/second raw = 5000000 octets/second.
300000000 octets/minute
4500000000 octets in 15 minutes.
0xC388D00
again, well within limit of Counter32.
I haven't looked at MIB-II in a long time. My copy of the Simple Book is the 2nd edition,
which uses the newer IP-MIB (different OID).

Hmm.
I find I have a pile of MIBs on my system from installing SNMP. I checked MIB-II.
The definition in question:
 ifInOctets OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  Counter
              ACCESS  read-only

              STATUS  mandatory
              DESCRIPTION
                      "The total number of octets received on the
                      interface, including framing characters."
              ::= { ifEntry 10 }

I'm going to dig around for the definition of Counter.
Meanwhile, I suggest that you make your interval 10 minutes and see what happens.