[mrtg] Counter wrapping on high-capacity interfaces

David stretch at houston.rr.com
Thu Sep 27 21:06:55 MEST 2001

Hi folks,

I've got minor problem graphing traffic stats on some Cisco boxes.
Specifically, when I graph usage on a couple of OC-12 connections, the
numbers are way off -- because the internal counter on the cisco wraps
in less than the five-minute sample interval. (It only counts up to
about 5GB, so we can overrun it in well under five minutes)

I've worked around it by cutting my sample time down to one minute
(there's few enough interfaces that this does not create a big load) but
I am wondering if anyone else on the list has come up with more creative
solutions to this sort of problem.