[mrtg] Re: Yearly + Monthly graphs not generating properly

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Apr 17 00:29:38 MEST 2002

That is certainly strange.  You are correct about when graphs get
updated.

Daily gets updated every 5 minutes.
Weekly gets updated every 30 minutes
Monthly gets updated every 2 hours
Yearly get's updated once a day

All these times are completely based on when you start MRTG.
If you delete an image, it shifts to being based on that.

Have you thought about goiing to MRTG/RRDTool/[14all or some
other front end]?

What OS/version are you on?

What I would do is get RRDTool up and running, do a single config
(one of the problem children, like the example for CLEV), and have
that run alongside the regular MRTG process.  All told it should only
take an hour or so from start to finish to do that.

It looks like the .log file is ok, because based on the Max/Avg/Cur
In and Out values, things are normal in the log file.

Paul

>>> Chris Robb <chrobb at indiana.edu> 04/16/02 04:52PM >>>

Hello:

I'm running up against a wall that I'm not sure is a bug or something I'm
doing incorrectly. We are seeing some of our graphs completely flatlined
at 4 bps even though there is data. Have a look at:

http://loadrunner.uits.iu.edu/weathermaps/abilene/mrtg-data/CLEV-IPLS/clev-ipls.html

Note the incorrectly generated yearly graph. At the top of the page you
can view the logfile. Along with the other graphs, the log shows that
there was data collected over the past year. These symptoms are showing up
on various monitors throughout our pages, all in the yearly or monthly
graphs- mainly, I'm guessing, since they don't update as often. We are
using mrtg-2.9.17.

I've taken a few steps to try and eliminate simple things:

1) checked the file permissions. They're all in line with the other
   image files.
2) delete the png image and have it regenerated
3) replace the logfile with the same monitors logfile on a backup system
   that monitors the same information

Our other system that collects the same data uses a modified version of
mrtg that was hacked to allow 64-bit counter support before Tobias added
it into the main code. The config is exactly the same, except for the
locations of the files. I will add that this appears to be happening
randomly on various connections. I can't determine a common thread amongst
them.

A proper yearly graph on our other system can be found at:
http://hydra.uits.iu.edu/~abilene/traffic/complete/CLEV-IPLS/clev-ipls.html
Are we looking at a bug here? I guess my next option is to downgrade to
2.9.16 or try one of the preview releases of .18. Has anyone else seen
this? Thanks!

-Chris

Chris Robb
Indiana University Global NOC