[mrtg] MRTG not getting information on all interfaces

mrtg at acg-solutions.net mrtg at acg-solutions.net
Wed Apr 17 17:05:24 MEST 2002

Greetings,

After reviewing posts on newsgroups, a general Google search, and the
mailing list archives, I've not run across a solution for my situation.

I'm running mrtg 2.9.17 on RedHat Linux.  I'm polling a Cisco 3660 and a
Nortel Networks ASN.  The trouble is twofold.  First, on the Cisco, not
all interfaces are showing up in the mrtg.cfg file, nor the index.html I
generate using indexmaker.  The interface that is glaringly obvious that
it's missing is the interface the target IP address for mrtg.cfg is on.

The second issue is on the ASN's interfaces.  Both the 10M ethernet and
the serial interfaces are seen, but I get no traffic statistics on the
serial interfaces.  MRTG seems to be able to get information about the
interfaces, as it shows them as PPP, which they are.  The ethernet
interfaces have traffic shown on the graphs.

The mrtg log only shows mrtg starting; I get no messages at the interval
(I'm running mrtg as a daemon) in the log.

The cfgmaker command I issued to create the config is (community string
changed):

./cfgmaker --global 'WorkDir: /home/httpd/mrtg' --global 'Options[_]: bits,gro
wright' --output /home/mrtg/cfg/mrtg.cfg.2 --ifdesc=ip --show-op-down --descint
community at x.x.x.x community at y.y.y.y

The first target is the Cisco, the second the ASN.

An snmpwalk from the server running mrtg gets the ifInOctets and
ifOutOctets for the ASN, so I don't believe the ASN isn't able to give
the server the desired information.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?

Thanks for any advice you can give,

Brian Bremer
mrtg at acg-solutions.net