[mrtg] RE : Re: MRTG On Windows 2000 & Cisco IP Accounting

PLANTEC Ronan r.plantec at dsaf.pm.gouv.fr
Wed Apr 17 17:55:52 MEST 2002

THE IP ACCOUNTING IS A DATABASE THAT ALLOW YOU TO SEE THE TRAFFIC
BETWEEN 2 IP ADDRESSES (THE SENDER AND THE RECEIVER	).

There is a mechanism that allow you to reset databases to zero.

The Ip accounting is a database that show how many bytes have been
transferred between two Ip addresses since the last reinitialisation of
the database.

To have a good bulletin board I suggest you to use the command developed
at the CMU (Carnegie Mellon University) : snmpwalk, snmpget, snmpset
etc. These commands are written in C and can be easily compilated and
executed (I did it under SunOs).

For instance with these commands you can do an snmpget to retrieve
information (Source Ip address, receiver Ip address, and amount of bytes
transfered between these to Ip addresses) until the end of the database.
Afterward I imagine that you should reinitialize periodically the
mechanism of the Ip accounting with the snmpset command.

You must read the documentation given by Cisco. It's clear. You will
find the good OIDs.

I hope this could help