[mrtg] Re: MRTG Error doing uprate

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Apr 23 14:37:56 MEST 2002

Mrtg has had a problem for some time with handling zero values under
some circumstances. The problem originated sometime around v2.9.17 (or
earlier) and continued in various forms within the v2.9.18pre? releases.
At least some of the pre? releases attempted to fix the problem, but
created another instead. I'm not sure that problem is fixed in any current
release right now.

The original problem was identified when mrtg missed an snmp poll, it
was thought that missed poll inserted a zero value into the log file.
The next "valid" poll understood the previous poll was missed and
attempted to hide that fact by calculating a "fake" historic value
(apparently for averaging purposes). The fake value calculation is not
correct resulting in a hugh spike on the chart under some circumstances.

Depending upon exactly which "pre?" release you implement, you may see
differing zero-value results as someone attempts to correct the original
problem.