[mrtg] rrd problem with timestamps from SNMP

Jake Baillie jake at priva.com
Wed Apr 24 19:02:46 MEST 2002

Hi all,

I'm doing an SNMP poll to my APC Matrix 5000 UPS (community and ups name
changed, but the MIB is valid):

Target[matrix-runtime]:
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.3.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.3.0:communityname at ups

This particular MIB will report UPS runtime remaining. I've tested it with
a MIB browser, and with snmpwalk, and they both report the information
successfully. When I run mrtg, however, I receive the following error:

WARNING: Expected a number but got '2:20:00'

Am I missing something and being an idiot, or is MRTG/snmpwalk not
correcting for timestamps? I've seen people monitor runtimes before, but
perhaps they are converting to minutes in an external script. Any ideas?

FYI - I am using rrd, not rateup.

Thanks,
Jake Baillie

National security is in your hands - guard it well.