[mrtg] Re: rrd problem with timestamps from SNMP

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Apr 24 20:04:53 MEST 2002

Someone (I think Brian Chihart) wrote a script to translate the
value returned to a unix epoch time.  That's your problem.
MRTG doesn't understand timestamps unless they are in
unix epoch.

Come to think of it, he specifically did it for the exact problem
you are experiencing now.

Paul

>>> Jake Baillie <jake at priva.com> 04/24/02 01:02PM >>>

Hi all,

I'm doing an SNMP poll to my APC Matrix 5000 UPS (community and ups name
changed, but the MIB is valid):

Target[matrix-runtime]:
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.3.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.2.3.0:communityname at ups

This particular MIB will report UPS runtime remaining. I've tested it with a MIB browser, and with snmpwalk, and they both report the information
successfully. When I run mrtg, however, I receive the following error:

WARNING: Expected a number but got '2:20:00'

Am I missing something and being an idiot, or is MRTG/snmpwalk not
correcting for timestamps? I've seen people monitor runtimes before, but
perhaps they are converting to minutes in an external script. Any ideas?

FYI - I am using rrd, not rateup.

Thanks,
Jake Baillie

National security is in your hands - guard it well.