[mrtg] Re: Honoring exact Counter32 values

Christopher H. Laco chris.laco at threetech.com
Sun Apr 28 17:03:41 MEST 2002

In the last exciting episode of Das Internet,Christopher H. Laco sent forth
the following words of wisdom:
> I've successfully setup MRTG to monitor disk space, mem, users, procs,
> NIC, etc on one of my servers.  My next task was to have mrtg monitor
> the number of blocked packets from IP Filter.
>
> I wrote a small script to parse out the stats [from ipfstat], and
> setup snmpd to run that script for certain OIDs. I can snmpwalk the
> values and get them into MRTG. So far so good [and easy]. The values
> are of a Counter32 style number. If i inspect the logs,  the first run
> yields the exact number expected, after that it gets funky.
>
> What I'm struggling with is how to get MRTG to use the raw values
> _without_ doing the extra math that it does. For example: At first
> check, I have 10 blocked packets form the counter, at next 5 minute
> check, I have 17 blocked packets, so I want mrtg to graph 7...instead,
> it does it does it's thing and I end up with 0, or 3, etc...
>
> I've tinkered with the perminute Option, as well as setting the Step[]
> to 1, but I always end up with something other than what I expect.
>
> What is the proper way to setup MRTG so it will use exact values from
> snmp Counter32 without doing any of it's time/diff calcs?
>
> Thanks,
> -=Chris

I managed to get closer to what I want but multiplying Target * 5 and
setting options to perminute, however, no my results are off by 1..i.e., the
true values for the last run were 3 and 7, but they graph as 2 and 6...  :-(