[mrtg] Honoring exact Counter32 values

Christopher H. Laco chris.laco at threetech.com
Sun Apr 28 16:46:40 MEST 2002

I've successfully setup MRTG to monitor disk space, mem, users, procs,
NIC, etc on one of my servers.  My next task was to have mrtg monitor
the number of blocked packets from IP Filter.

I wrote a small script to parse out the stats [from ipfstat], and
setup snmpd to run that script for certain OIDs. I can snmpwalk the
values and get them into MRTG. So far so good [and easy]. The values
are of a Counter32 style number. If i inspect the logs,  the first run
yields the exact number expected, after that it gets funky.

What I'm struggling with is how to get MRTG to use the raw values
_without_ doing the extra math that it does. For example: At first
check, I have 10 blocked packets form the counter, at next 5 minute
check, I have 17 blocked packets, so I want mrtg to graph 7...instead,
it does it does it's thing and I end up with 0, or 3, etc...

I've tinkered with the perminute Option, as well as setting the Step[]
to 1, but I always end up with something other than what I expect.

What is the proper way to setup MRTG so it will use exact values from
snmp Counter32 without doing any of it's time/diff calcs?

Thanks,
-=Chris