[mrtg] Re: Newbie OS X User

Dan Tappin dan at wavefront.ca
Tue Apr 30 20:21:55 MEST 2002

Thanks for the help Drew.

I had MRTG running already but the package I installed set-up a
preconfigured SQUID cache CFG that is a good start for me to dig through.

I do not have much experience with SNMP so here is a dumb question...

My SQUID cache example...

The mrtg-squid.cfg file has the following line:

Target[cacheServerErrors]:
cacheServerErrors&cacheServerErrors:public at localhost:3401

So this means that MRTG is asking public at localhost:3401 for
cacheServerErrors data?  What is the structure on the
<<handle1>>&<<handle2>> in front of the address?

The OS X system I am playing with acts as our office router, webserver,
e-mail, and DNS server.  I am assuming that I could monitor each of these
with MRTG?

I have also seen CPU and disk usage which would be cool.  We also have an
office with 40+ PC sharing this connection.  Could I also use MRTG to
monitor web / e-mail traffic on them or does MRTG need to be running on each
system being monitored?

I have a lot of things I would love to add to this but I think I am turning
this into quite a make work project!  To start I would like to monitor the
TCP/IP traffic in and out of the office and the servers CPU and memory usage
and uptime.

Are you using OS X?  Do you have some example CFG files you would be willing
to share with me?

Thanks for all your help.

Dan