[mrtg] Re: Newbie OS X User

Drew Hawn DHawn at DupontDisplays.com
Tue Apr 30 20:59:02 MEST 2002

The mrtg-squid.cfg file has the following line:

Target[cacheServerErrors]:
cacheServerErrors&cacheServerErrors:public at localhost:3401

So this means that MRTG is asking public at localhost:3401 for
cacheServerErrors data?  What is the structure on the
<<handle1>>&<<handle2>> in front of the address?

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Don't know anything about squid or this config, sorry.
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

The OS X system I am playing with acts as our office router, webserver,
e-mail, and DNS server.  I am assuming that I could monitor each of these
with MRTG?

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
You should be able to.  Worse case scenario is that you would
have to get a third-party SNMP package, but shouldn't have to.
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

I have also seen CPU and disk usage which would be cool.  We also have an
office with 40+ PC sharing this connection.  Could I also use MRTG to
monitor web / e-mail traffic on them or does MRTG need to be running on each
system being monitored?

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
The easiest thing to monitor with MRTG is a router or switch.
So, to monitor these machines, it might be best to monitor the
switch or router that they are connected to.  That means 1 device
instead of 40+.

MRTG runs on the NMS, or Network Monitoring Device, and polls
other devices on the network.  So it only has to run on one machine.
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

I have a lot of things I would love to add to this but I think I am turning
this into quite a make work project!  To start I would like to monitor the
TCP/IP traffic in and out of the office and the servers CPU and memory usage
and uptime.

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
My opinion, for what it's worth, is that you begin this adventure by monitoring
the router/switch that connects your office to the outside world.  It is
probably the easiest thing to do, and will give you some feedback on
important information right away.  You can then move on to more difficult items
after MRTG has become a bit more familiar

Are you using OS X?  Do you have some example CFG files you would be willing
to share with me?

I'm not running OS X, but am using MRTG on Linux and Windows.
By the way, I stumbled across 'Essential SNMP' from O'Reilly over the weekend.
Excellent introduction to SNMP which is what MRTG is all about.

Thanks for all your help.