[mrtg] Choose source interface/address on MRTG server?

Larry Claman claman at eden.fi.mckinsey.com
Tue Aug 6 16:18:37 MEST 2002

Hi all,
I couldn't find this in the documentation - apologies if it slipped past me.

I have an MRTG setup running on a Linux system with multiple network cards
and multiple network addresses.  I need to be able to have MRTG choose a
specific interface and/or network address as the source address for the SNMP
queries it makes.  (This is due to access control lists on my routers, etc.)

It seems like this should be possible - I glanced at the code for
SNMP_session.pm, and it looks like there are variables that could be set to
do this:

    $socket = IO::Socket::INET->new(Proto => 17,
                                        Type => SOCK_DGRAM,
                                        LocalAddr => $local_hostname,
                                        LocalPort => $local_port)

But, I'm not really a programmer, and wanted to find out if there was an easy
way to pass this value either on a command line or in a config file.

Larry