[mrtg] Converting to Daemon Mode

Todd Adamson tadamson at routers.com
Wed Aug 7 20:20:57 MEST 2002

I am running RH 7.1, kernel 2.4.9, rrdtool 1.0.39, 14all.cgi 1.1p23.

I am currently running a bunch of scripts via a cron job, and would
like to move to daemon mode for the mrtg front end.  The current
cron entries have been working for numerous months.

I created a mrtg-user and a mrtg-group as the documentation
suggested.  I also added the RunAsDeamon: Yes and Interval: 5
to my configuration file.  I am issueing the following command:

/usr/local/etc/mrtg/bin/mrtg --user=mrtg-user --group=mrtg-group rrdnpi.cfg

but I am getting the following error:

ERROR: Creating templock rrdnpi.cfg_l_12078: Permission denied at
/usr/local/etc/mrtg/bin/mrtg line 1374.

The installation is a stock mrtg install(./conf, make, make all, etc)

I am still serching docs, but does anyone have any suggestions
as to why this is happening?

Todd Adamson
tadamson at routers.com