[mrtg] Re: MRTG being "chatty"?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Aug 8 18:07:05 MEST 2002

> Anyway, all systems like MRTG (including MRTG) do "get" requests.
> They are all the same size, and the data returned is the same size.
>
> How that is any more or less chatty than something else, I have no idea.
> HP OpenView is similar to BB, just like all the other players.  Do these
> people know that:

In reality, it turns out that Openview is far more chatty than mrtg from
a number of perspectives:
  1. mrtg typically is polling once per five minutes; typical openview
     installations are on the order of once per ten seconds up to about
     once per minute (eg, 5-to-30 times more chatty)
  2. Openview and mrtg snmp packets are not the same. Openview packets
     are generally much larger as the packet will include multiple snmp
     variables (whether wanted/needed or not), while mrtg polls only the
     oid's needed for each chart.

Openview might be viewed as What's Up Gold's big brother.

Concord's NetHealth might be viewed as Mrtg's big brother.

Two different category of tools.