[mrtg] Re: MRTG being "chatty"?

Patrick De Muynck patrick at dreamtech.gr
Thu Aug 8 17:43:11 MEST 2002

IMO OpenView's snmpCollect does "getbulk" requests when
dealing with multiple interfaces or any other OIDs that have
multiple instances.

> > How that is any more or less chatty than something else, I
> have no idea.
> > HP OpenView is similar to BB, just like all the other
> players.  Do these
> > people know that:
>
> In reality, it turns out that Openview is far more chatty
> than mrtg from
> a number of perspectives:
>   1. mrtg typically is polling once per five minutes; typical openview
>      installations are on the order of once per ten seconds
> up to about
>      once per minute (eg, 5-to-30 times more chatty)

This is not true because OpenView's snmpCollect will collect SNMP
data at exactly the frequency that you configure: 5min, 10min, whatever...

( Mind that we are not dealing here with OpenView's other polling
  activities like : status polling, configuration polling and discovery polling.
  You can simply turn those pollings off if you don't like them.)

>   2. Openview and mrtg snmp packets are not the same. Openview packets
>      are generally much larger as the packet will include
> multiple snmp
>      variables (whether wanted/needed or not), while mrtg
> polls only the
>      oid's needed for each chart.

That sounds strange because with snmpCollect you can constrain the
data collections to the specific OIDs and instances that you are interested in.
Do you have evidence that OpenView packets are larger?