[mrtg] Converting from counter to derive

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Tue Aug 13 18:06:52 MEST 2002

I'm in the process of converting my RRDs from counter to derive in an
effort to get around the spike-after-reboot problem that has been
discussed on both this list, the rrdtool list. I have verified that the
data sources have been conveted to DERIVE type after executing the
"rrdtool tune test.rrd -d ds0:DERIVE -d ds1:DERIVE" command. However
the next time mrtg touches these files it converts them back to COUNTER
data sources. I noticed that if I edit the mrtg perl script, and change
the following line:

        my %dstype = qw/u COUNTER a ABSOLUTE g GAUGE h COUNTER m
COUNTER/;
        my %dstype = qw/u DERIVE a ABSOLUTE g GAUGE h DERIVE m DERIVE/;

then the data sources in my test.rrd file automatically convert to
DERIVE type.

My questions:

Is everyone else doing this?
Are there any known ramifications to the modification above to the mrtg
script?

I feel like I'm really missing the boat on this one. Nobody else has
mentioned having to modify the source to get a COUNTER to DERIVE
conversion to work.

Thank you

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- Size: 1k (1924 bytes)