[mrtg] Re: snmp error

Ivette Reategui reategi at mail.nlm.nih.gov
Wed Aug 14 14:20:55 MEST 2002

I got this error on two different situations.

1.  SNMP was blocked to the network where the deviced being monitored
was located.
2.  The deviced being monitored was taken out of production.

Warning:  These error could cause a delay in the rest of your
configuration files if these are included in one "mrtg" file.
All my cfg files are included in one "mrtg" file.  These SNMP error
delayed execution of the other configuration files in the mrtg file,
which made the intervals greater than 5 min. for the other configs...and
I was getting unusual traffic patterns for the other devices.

>>> Jarrod Friedland <jfriedla at syd-co.au.dhl.com> 08/13/02 08:30PM >>>

Hi all

I have recently got mrtg running and everything seems to be working
fine other than the following error

SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx].161)
                  community: "public"
                 request ID: -1515225813
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 5s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
 at /usr/lib/perl5/SNMP_util.pm line 456
SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.3 ifOutOctets.3 sysUptime sysName on
public at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx::5:
 at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1496
WARNING: Expected a number but got ''
WARNING: Expected a number but got ''

I am monitoring both the ethernet interface and the wan interface of
the device. The wan interface seems to be behaving and gives me the
graph as required ... I do receive the same above alert from the wan
interface now and then however the ethernet interface when first
installed seemed to be giving the right information ... then I
started to receive the above error at which time the graph stopped
producing data. the box is def up and I can snmpwalk the device. What
would be the cause of the above error and secondly what do I deduce
from

<snippet of above error>

at /usr/lib/perl5/SNMP_util.pm line 456
SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.3 ifOutOctets.3 sysUptime sysName on
public at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx::5:
 at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1496
WARNING: Expected a number but got ''
WARNING: Expected a number but got ''