[mrtg] Re: Cisco AS5300 modem monitoring

Koelstra, J. (Jan) JKoelstra at MINSZW.NL
Wed Aug 14 13:42:24 MEST 2002

Bill,

Since the maximum connect speed is 64000bps you should have this value
at the maxbytes line(s).
Everything above maxbytes is ignored by MRTG (unless you also have an
absmax line in the config).

So replace the 2 lines in the MRTG config file
'MaxBytes1[router_TXRXspeed]: 8000' and 'MaxBytes2[router_TXRXspeed]:
8000' with the single line 'Maxbytes[router_TXRXspeed]:64000' and you
will see some values in the graphs.

Jan.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hogg, Bill (Manx Telecom) [mailto:Bill.Hogg at manx-telecom.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 12:47 PM
To: 'mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch'
Subject: [mrtg] Cisco AS5300 modem monitoring

Hope someone can help with this.  I have opened a Cisco case but it
didn't fully solve the problem.

I have a Cisco AS5300 router and would like to use MRTG to monitor the
modem connection speeds that my users connect at.  The router has 120
modems. They are numbered 1/0 through to 1/59 and then 2/0 to 2/59.

Cisco have confirmed to me that modem 1/1 would have an OID ending in
1.1 and 1/2 ends in 1.2 etc, etc...

My MRTG server runs on Windows NT.  With the help of Cisco I was able to
query the modem connection speeds.  They suggested using snmpwalk.  I
found that no such utility was available on Windows (its only Unix).
Instead I can use "snmputil" which can be installed from the Windows NT
resource kit.

By using snmputil I could get a response form the router with the
connection speeds of users.  I have attached this output for reference
in the files dos14.txt and dos15.txt

As I understand it these OID's refer to the direction.  i.e. .14.1.1
refers to the user's downstream speed and the 15.1.1 refers to the
user's upstream speed.

I also attach the MRTG config file mrtgconf.txt

I have changed my router's IP to 10.10.10.10 and also changed the
community name to "community"

That's the background....can anyone advise why my graph shows a flat
line, which never changes, and also doesn't reflect the actual connect
speeds.  I have attached a log file of the data collected router.log
You will see the first line is "1029321735 46666 28800" but the rest of
it is the same (presumably why the graph doesn't change).  I found this
mentioned on the
FAQ:

1.	Your device is unreachable
2.	MRTG didn't run for some time
3.	The values are too high according to your MaxBytes setting

I see 3 as the possible cause - can anyone advise on what value to use
in my config file ??  64000 bps is the max connection speed.

Other than this where am I going wrong....??

Thankyou very much for any advice in advance !

Regards,
Bill.

 <<dos14.txt>>  <<dos15.txt>>  <<mrtgconf.txt>>
<<router_TXRXspeed.log>>
Disclaimer warning:-
This communication is confidential.
You must not copy or disclose it if it has been mistakenly sent to you.
If it has, please delete it and let the originator know as soon as you
can. This email and any attachments, have been scanned for viruses prior
to leaving the Manx Telecom network.

See our website:- www.manx-telecom.com for company information and
contacts.

-- Type: text/plain