[mrtg] Re: MIBs and OIDs

Jerry Heidtke jheidtke at fmlh.edu
Tue Aug 27 22:57:35 MEST 2002

A MIB is made up of a collection of objects that can be identified by either
name or number. I think the name is what you are referring to as MIB, while
the number is what you are referring to as OID. Actually, both the name and
number are properly called OIDs.

For example, the following two are equivalent OIDs:
.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets
.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10

The last "word" in an OID name is supposed to be unique across the entire
MIB name space. That is what makes it possible to refer to ifInOctets as a
kind of shortcut for
.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets. Not
all vendors have followed this rule...

MRTG has built-in support for a limited number of MIB names. Some of these
are listed at http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mibhelp.html.
The complete list can be found within SNMP_util.pm, one of the MRTG
libraries.

MRTG can support additional MIB names through the use of the LoadMIBs:
global option. See
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/reference.html for details.

Using object names may make your config files easier to read, at some cost
in performance. I always use the explicit OID number, then put a comment in
the config file explaining what it is if it is not obvious.

Jerry