[mrtg] Re: 14all.cgi & routers.cgi very slow

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Wed Dec 18 15:55:37 MET 2002

}(7 graphs total) takes 25 seconds to load, and another 20
}seconds to bring
}up the page with daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly statistics.  These
}

ugh!

}machine is a P3 600mhz with 384 meg ram.  Its NOT running Xwin.
}

This box should produce graphs a ton faster than the above data
indicates.

}When the graphs are being built, top reports that 14all.cgi is the one
}sucking the resources.  I would have expected it to report
}

How may config files do you have or is this one big mrtg.cfg?
How many targets are in each config file?

What I found works pretty well is breaking your config files into
pieces and specifying the config file and/or directory and/or target
in the link to 14all via the cfg, dir, and log parameters. 14all
seems to run a lot slower with big configs.

You can implement speedy cgi, but IMHO I don't think it will get
you _that_ much of a performance increase. I have it running on my
public mrtg box and couldn't really tell the difference between
before and after speedycgi although I didn't do any real timing
tests. Nonetheless, it's really easy to implement, so you might
want to give it a shot. You can get speedycgi from:
http://daemoninc.com/SpeedyCGI/

My box is a PIII-450 and it will produce a 28 graph index page in
about 15 seconds. You can hit it at http://mrtg.gvolk.com to see
what I'm talking about. The biggest index (28) is under
Switch -> All Targets.

On the above page, I'm only using one config file for everything.
I do this because there just aren't that many graphs on that site.
At work where I poll 7000+ targets every five minutes, I have my
config files split up, per device and 14all really benefits from
that.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- Size: 2k (2424 bytes)