[mrtg] dskPercent values not available / MIB issues?

Dan Tappin dan at wavefront.ca
Fri Dec 20 21:58:00 MET 2002

I am running net-snmp 4.2.5 on 2 OS X 10.2.2 systems in conjunction
with MRTG.

On one system I am tracking the disk usage via dskPercnt:

tappind# snmpget localhost public dskPercent.1
enterprises.ucdavis.dskTable.dskEntry.dskPercent.1 = 20

I have MRTG plotting no problem.

The second system, on which I just installed net-snmp 4.2.5 on, results
in:

admin# snmpget localhost public dskPercent.1
Error in packet
Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.
Failed object: enterprises.ucdavis.dskTable.dskEntry.dskPercent.1

some digging reveals:

admin# snmptranslate -On -TB 'dskPercent'
enterprises.ucdavis.dskTable.dskEntry.dskPercent

and :

admin# snmptranslate enterprises.ucdavis.dskTable.dskEntry.dskPercent
enterprises.ucdavis.dskTable.dskEntry.dskPercent: Unknown Object
Identifier (Sub-id not found: mib-2 -> enterprises)

I have added my filesystem to the /etc/snmpd.conf file and I have
compared the install on both systems and all look well.

I tried to search the net-snmp archive but the search function is not
working and the MRTG list does not shed much light on the subject.
Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan