[mrtg] Re: Memory, Varibles, and Death

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Tue Dec 24 15:12:58 MET 2002

}     I am using the Cisco OIDs for free memory and largest
}block free.  In
}the graph, it reports total memory as a number I plug into the
}config file.
}I tried doing something like {total memory}+{free memory}, but
}MRTG freaked
}and died.  How do you calculate the total memory of a device
}for use on the
}MaxBytes line?
}

I monitor memory on my ciscos, but it doesn't seem very useful.
In 2+ years of MRTG memory plotting, I have yet to see the graphs
look like anything except flat lines. There are probably better
OIDs to look at than what I built my configs for, but it's not
that high of a priority.

As for dynamically building a config and having it find the total
memory of each different device, that's a little more complicated.
It would be very device specific and would probably require a fair
amount of custom scripting per device. When I do memory polling,
I just set the max bytes value to some arbitrary high number and
use the "Options[target]: nopercent" directive to ditch the
percent data.

}     On another note, use the cfgmaker script to generate a
}basic cfg file.
}Then I drop some lines at the end for CPU, Memory, Temp, and
}to tell it to
}use RRDTool.  I'd like to use varibles for the values.  I
}tried something
}like:
}
}$IPADDY=192.168.0.1
}
}SomeValue=oid&oid:community@$IPADDY
}
}But MRTG freaked and died.  The cfg file looks something like
}a programming
}language file, can we use varibles and stuff in there?
}

Are you using cfgmaker templates? It sounds like that's what you
want to do. Take a look at this template for a starting point:

http://mrtg.gvolk.com/template/host-ios.template

There is an example command line at the top of the file that
details how to use it with cfgmaker.

}  Last note.  Sometimes, I lose connectivity to devices out on
}my network.
}It seems that after a while without contacting a device, MRTG
}freaks and
}dies.  I am running on WinNT and using startup shortcuts (as opposed to
}services) to launch one copy of MRTG for each device.  Anyone
}else notice
}this?
}

<dumb look> I haven't run mrtg on NT, so I can't help with this. </dumb
look>

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- Size: 2k (2422 bytes)