[mrtg] Re: Memory, Varibles, and Death

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Wed Dec 25 08:37:46 MET 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com [mailto:Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com]
>}     I am using the Cisco OIDs for free memory and largest
>}block free.  In
>}the graph, it reports total memory as a number I plug into the
>}config file.
>}I tried doing something like {total memory}+{free memory}, but
>}MRTG freaked
>}and died.  How do you calculate the total memory of a device
>}for use on the
>}MaxBytes line?
>}
>
>I monitor memory on my ciscos, but it doesn't seem very useful.
>In 2+ years of MRTG memory plotting, I have yet to see the graphs
>look like anything except flat lines.

That either means you haven't run any 'T' train code or you haven't been
looking at the monthly and yearly views.  That's where you will see memory
leaks start to show up.  If you are running GD code on the routers, there
probably isn't a whole lot of point to monitor memory, but I've found more
than my share of memory leaks in 12.1T by looking at yearly graphs.... (I
haven't needed to run 12.2T anywhere yet.)

Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CNX
Lan/Wan Integrator
Austin Energy
1.512.322.6739