[mrtg] Re: Cisco PortNames and IndexMaker

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Wed Feb 6 17:01:51 MET 2002

> Hello all,
>
> I am trying create a set of graphs and html pages for a Cisco 6509 switch.
> I would like to use the information that is presented in these graphs after
> the heading:
>
> Port Name:Systemxyz <-----THIS IS WHAT I WANT

I'm going to assume that this is just a straight away layer two switch,
that runs catos, and not something more complicated like an MSFC with
native IOS.

I have run into a number of problems trying to reference ports on a
catos switch by anything except instance number and name. I realize
you're talking about indexmaker, and I'm talking about cfgmaker, but
since indexmaker uses the output from cfgmaker, that may be where your
problem lies. On my catos boxes I used to use --ifref=descr in cfgmaker.
I found out, at an inopportune time, that this is a _bad_ idea because
by default, not every port on a catos box has a description. Thus you
end up with "duplicate named ports" that don't end up getting included
in the config.
All the ports have names. Most of them by default have descriptions
that match the names, but not all. For instance, ATM PAs plugged into
flexwan blades don't actually get valid descriptions unless you explicitly
specify the description using the "stack-mib portname <descr>" command.
Yes, eventhough it says portname, you're really setting the description.
Try getting all of the implementation & design people in a big shop to
add that command to their configs. Yeah, right. I find that it's much
easier to just use --ifref=name for my catos boxes, eventhough I use
(prefer) --ifref=descr for everything else.

I don't know if this will fix your indexmaker problems, but make sure
everything is in the right place in your cfgmaker output. If it isn't,
indexmaker doesn't have a prayer of a chance of generating the indexes
you want, the way you want them. In the long-term I would strongly
suggest getting off of indexmaker and going with something like 14all.cgi
which will dynamically create your index pages. Unless you have some
serious automation going between cfgmaker and indexmaker, 14all.cgi will
make maintaining mrtg much simpler.