[mrtg] Re: Excahnge Help

Williams, Garth gkwilliams at epcor.ca
Thu Feb 14 18:13:56 MET 2002

Greets!

The Exchange OID used by Hans appears to from the SNMP4NT PERFMIB.MIB, and
(if so) was built for Exchange ONLY.  As such, it will NOT work with
IPSwitch Imail.  HOWEVER, you might want to check out the MADMAN (Mail And
Directory MANagement) MIB, since there is a good chance IMail supports it.

You might also want to check into the NSM (Network Services Monitoring) MIB,
as it MAY be that IMail is written to support it too!  Dunno about Exchange.

There is also a DSA (Directory Services Architecture) MIB that is related
(though probably not supported), so you might want to look into that!

Links:

NSM MIB - http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1565.html - Cut and paste section 5 as
RFC-1565-NSM.MIB

MADMAN MIB - http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1566.html - Cut and paste section 5
as RFC-1566-MADMAN.MIB

DSA MIB - http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1567.html - Cut and paste section 5 as
RFC-1657 as RFC-1567-X.500-DSA.MIB

Note that the names I suggest are just to make it easy to recognize them in
a directory full of other MIBS.  They are NOT part of any standard naming
convention that I am aware of!

All the MIBS above are SNMPv2 (ought to make those paranoid about the SNMPv1
vulnerabilities happy!), so may not compile in all MIB browsers (read:
getif)

On another note, I have heard that Exchange 5.5 and 2000 support the MADMAN
MIB, so Exchange folks could try that too!  You will of course need to have
SNMP installed BEFORE Exchange, or good luck!

Here is another related MIB link I found today -
http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/messaging/41/ag/mib.htm.  It is
the NetScape Messaging Server MIB, so those of you who have one of those
might want to check into it!

Have a Day!

Garth

(I'm gettin sore eye's lookin' for my valentines' day bouquet!)