[mrtg] Cisco clear counter

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Feb 17 18:34:43 MET 2002

Running mrtg v2.9.12a with approx three months of data.

When we "clear counters" on a C7206, C2924, or C2621 the snmp
counters for each interface are reset.  Some of the mrtg historic
numbers show peaks that are directly related to the clear counters
function.

Mrtg config's include MaxBytes, which is currently set to whatever
the max interface speed happens to be (in bytes).  I'm not sure
when this parameter was actually applied to our configs, or if
they've been there since mrtg was setup.

How are the Cisco-based folks on this list handling the counter
reset issue?  (Is MaxBytes properly handling these?)

Rich