[mrtg] Re: Comments getting us in trouble

Tuc tuc at ttsg.com
Fri Jan 4 16:16:28 MET 2002

> Well then, it looks like they'll need to rewrite the
> parser.

	Its looking that way... 8-(

> Even if they did show up in the png, you
> can't parse it like you can an MRTG page.  It's "in"
> the png.

	Right, I know.

> You'll have to get them to write something
> to go directly at the RRAs within the .rrd.

	I'm not allowing direct access. I don't like that
idea. They wanted to download them EVERY 5 MINUTES for 60
targets.. I refuse.

> I had to
> do the same thing with the talker script.  I was
> parsing html pages, and when I moved to RRDTool, I had
> to switch gears to against the rrds instead.

	Right, but you owned both parts. Our customers
don't get direct access to the raw data.

> Much
> more efficient in the long run to do it that way
> anyway.

	Has anyone written some sort of front end for
RRD that would make the RRD's look like an external
database that could have requests made via SQL or SQL like
syntax? Or just even remote access to RRDs via a socket based
protocol?

		Thanks, Tuc/TTSG Internet Services, Inc.