[mrtg] Re: Merging Log Files

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Jan 4 16:49:22 MET 2002

Well, not an easy way, but it can be done...

Stop MRTG once you are confident you can move quickly...

Here's what I've done in the past...

1.  Find the last valid set of data in the old log file.
2.  Copy everything from that point down, making a note of the
timestamp and interval (the timestamp right below it).
3.  Go to the new log file.
4.  Search for that timestamp you just took note of.
5.  Make sure the timestamp below it is the same (It may be, then
again, it might not)
6.  Replace all the data from the timestamp you made note of down.

I know that there are a lot of other factors...
You could also go at it from the other direction...putting your new data
into the old log file and then moving the old log file.

Paul
>>> "EDK" <ekagan at rcsplus.net> 01/04/02 06:58AM >>>
Is there an "Easy" way to merge log data?  I originally had used the "sub-dirs" option but somehow it dropped out on me and I ran MRTG for a few weeks without it.  Now I have 2 sets of data and would like to "fill-in" the missing data.  Has anyone done this before?  Any tips, tricks, hints before I dig into it? Which files need to be merged?  Will it "back" generate the history graphs with the combined data or am I wasting my time here?

Thanks
Eric