[mrtg] Re: OID vs. MIB ?

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Tue Jan 8 20:00:29 MET 2002

Lars,

You need it twice because that's what MRTG requires...
The simplest way (IMHO) to find out the OID is to obtain GETIF, put the
mib into that app, then walk the tree with it.  Very convenient.

That's not to say you couldn't load the mib into net-snmp and
walk the mib from your linux box.

The real OID, as you've supplied, is most likely close to:

.1.3.6.1.4.1.???????.19.x

where ??????? is unknown (what numbers, how many levels) before
you reach 19.  I added an x onto the end because statistics like this
are usually available for multiple interfaces on the same box, which is
where the interface index comes in to play.

If you use the LoadMIBS directive, MRTG will be able to pick out the
last part of the mib, and interpret what is needed for the "beginning"
to get the data needed.

Paul

>>> Lars Holmström <lars.holmstrom at flysta.net> 01/08/02 01:31PM >>>

OK, Why do you need it twice ?

and  How do you know this is the whole symbolic name or not ?

Target[xyz]:
x25StatTxDMFrameCount.instance&x25StatTxDMFrameCount.instance:public at ipaddress

Last I expected the MIB to be possible to find out the real OID, but I may be wrong ?

Brgds,
Lars

Biron Laurent-R01199 wrote