[mrtg] Re: run mrtg on a different machine as the webserver

bwoodcoc bwoodcoc at genuity.com
Tue Jan 8 20:18:17 MET 2002

At 07:59 PM 1/8/2002 +0100, Oliver Ziltener wrote:

>Has anybody an idea how I can put the mrtg-generated html file to an other
>server automatically?
>I want run mrtg on different machine as the webserver.
>Do I need a script or what else?

Hi Oliver,

We do this today, mrtg runs on one server but navigation is on the other
for cgi's and hotlinks. We nfs (map) from the web server to the html
directories. This way mrtg does not have to write across the net which
could be an issue if you have large config's.

So we currently still have issues with I/O on the mrtg server and are
moving to rrd. However with rrdtool you appear to need the libraries from
mrtg/rrd to exectute the cgi's. In this case we are moving back to
executing the cgi's on the local collection server so we don't have to do
double installs for mrtg/rrd on the two machines. Something to consider
moving forward administratively.

cheers,
brad...