[mrtg] logfile format, or how to merge 2 logs?

Roberts Ross Ross.Roberts at alcatel.com
Tue Jan 8 21:51:00 MET 2002

We recently replaced our core ethernet switch with a new/different unit. I
modified the related mrtg cfg file and started capturing data to a new data
directory. Now I have a dir of the old orphaned data. How can I merge this
info into the new running logs? In my case, I know the port mappings for
each logfile so I know how to match oldlog_1 to newlog_1. I tried a quick
by-hand merge, trimming the first 2 entries in the old log and all the
zeroed entries in the new log, matched the timestamps to be descending
order.. and rateup complained, going to the .bak logfile.

.. the second question was about the logfile format to write something
myself, but I just found the manpage.

Anyone ever tried this? success? gave up in disgust and trashed the old
data? inquiring minds want to know!

(oh, and the archive search page seems to be MIA.. the link to it sends me
to the listar sub/unsub login page, but when I login I see no search
function. or am I just stupid on that front too?)

-r

--
-Ross Roberts
 Unix/Network Administrator