[mrtg] CheckPing.pl

Chirhart, Brian bchirhart at fnni.com
Sat Jan 12 01:09:00 MET 2002

O.k. - here was the script that I talked about earlier.  I am not sure if
someone else has come up with this, but I could not find anything that did
it, so I wrote it!

What CheckPing.pl will do is check a device for a response before trying to
run the MRTG config against it.  The reason we needed this is we want to
monitor 60+ work at home users who constantly shut off their PC's with the
power strip, thus killing our routers that are at their houses.  When MRTG
tries to run the config file against that router, it times out for A VERY
LONG TIME - and since we have 60+ of these people doing this all the time,
our work at home configs were taking longer than 5 minutes to run.  This
equals death to MRTG.  This perl script will check the device in a second or
two and if there is no response it will not run the config.

Docs are in the script file, but basically you will need to modify your cron
jobs to run this instead of your MRTG configs.  This script will in turn run
your MRTG scripts.

I am brand new to Perl - If I screwed something up, or if there is a better
way to do this, let me know.

 <<CheckPing.pl>>

-- Type: application/octet-stream
-- Size: 1k (1097 bytes)