[mrtg] Re: what can MRTG do? (a newbee question)

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Jan 16 21:13:45 MET 2002

It sounds like you are looking for a systems monitor.  MRTG is a data
collector.

MRTG is very good at what it is designed to do.  Display time-series
data.  If you want a systems monitor, check into the following, in
no order of preference (well, sort of).

Big Brother
MON
Gossips
NetSaint (I heard this was coming out as another name soon)
What'sUp Gold
HP OpenView
Micromuse NetCool
Tivoli NetView
and many others...

But, to answer your questions...
1 - yes, yes, yes (with mrtg-ping-probe or checkping), yes
2 - Gather?  It can alert with the ThreshI and ThreshO paramters.
3 - It's possible, but not recommended

Paul

>>> "Mohamed HAMOUCH" <mohamed.hamouch at cgey.com> 01/16/02 03:15PM >>>
 Hi all,

The situation is that we have  a  great number of servers ( NT , Unix, Win 2000) that we want to supervise using the MRTG.  We want to install MRTG in a dedicated machine and collect different information from our servers.

  My question is : is it possible to do the following things with mrtg combined whith other utilities?

1- Is it possible to collect the CPU, RAM, "is a machine is alive (ping)", information about the remaining space on hard drives?

2- Can MRTG gather alerts if one or more things above are in a critical condition ?

3- If it's possible, so what we need else to accomplish this ?

 Thanks for anyone who want share information with us.

./Mohamed.