[mrtg] Re: Running MRTG as service on W2K server

Sawyer, David david.sawyer at uk.mckhboc.com
Thu Jan 17 10:48:01 MET 2002

This sounds like a job for Mr Daemon...

I created this program as I was having problems with the 'RunAsDaemon: yes'
command.

It will also save your memory as the 'perl' process isn't memory resident
24/7, only when the perl command is executed.

If you want to make Mr Daemon a service you can use FireDaemon, I have had
them both working for over a year with zero problems.

Also when you change/add/delete a MRTG config you will have to stop/restart
the perl process, but not with Mr Daemon, all changes to the config will
take effect on the very next run, even if your running Mr Daemon as a
service.

After installing Mr Daemon look in the install folder for the 'readme.txt'
file for instruction and a step by step guide to run Mr Daemon as a service.

If you do use Mr Daemon, you *must* remove the 'RunAsDaemon: yes' and
'Interval' commands in your MRTG config.

E-mail me if you have any questions.

There are quite a few people on this list who use Mr Daemon

The URL for my site is www.geocities.com/mrtg_daemon I'm sure it is what
your looking for.

You can also check out the Mr Daemon poll results
http://vote.pollit.com/webpoll3?ID=531535

I've also created a GUI MRTG config maker, very useful :-)
...Create MRTG configuration scripts
...Save and load your set up to easily create new configs any time
...Store your OIDs to a dropdown box so you'll never need to remember them

Sorry for the ranting...I'll shut up now :-)

HTH
Dave