[mrtg] Re: getting a value for Maxbytes[nnn]: automatically

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Sun Jan 27 17:13:42 MET 2002

Not exactly.  Generally, the maxbytes value is grabbed
when you build a configuration.  If a maxbytes value
changes with each poll, then you'll have to come up
with a way to query the proper OID to get that info, then build the confuguration, making sure that the
target says the same.  In most cases, there is a OID
for maxbytes, but it is not polled by MRTG on each run
of stat collection.

Is that kind of what you were looking for?

Paul

>>> Don Harvie <don.harvie at usa.net> 01/26/02 22:52 PM >>>

Hi All,

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer.

The MRTG reference states that the MaxBytes parameter is given a numeric
value.

I'm hoping though that I can set it in the same way you get data with
the Target command, As a mib value by specifying:
Maxbytes[foo] OID:community at host

I've tried this and get ERROR: CFG Error in "Maxbytes[foo]",
OID:Comm at host must be a number bigger than 0

Hopefully there is another way.

Many thanks for you answers.

--
Thanks,