[mrtg] Re: snmp problems

Sawyer, David david.sawyer at uk.mckhboc.com
Thu Jan 31 11:59:16 MET 2002

Double check your SNMP community string by doing the following....

view the config by using the following command...

sh run

and look near the end of the config for something like...

!
access-list 1 permit 10.10.10.1
access-list 1 permit 10.10.10.2
!
snmp-server community CommString RO 1
snmp-server host 10.10.10.1 traps CommString snmp
!

So the above example means that 'CommString' is the community sting and the
'1' on the end will only let devices from 'access-list 1' to receive SNMP
replies.
Since your not too knowledgeable on configuring a router, ask your local IT
dept for help, don't do it your self.

You shouldn't really create your own configs until your confident about what
your doing.
Use 'cfgmaker' to create them, that way all should be ok.

How are you running MRTG on the Windows system?
I have created Windows Daemon www.geocities.com/mrtg_daemon that should be
of use to you.
When you get your config working take a look at it, I'm here if you have any
questions about it.

HTH

Dave