[mrtg] Re: mrtg on a cable modem

Jon Heugh jon at heugh.com
Thu Jan 31 22:40:55 MET 2002

Actually, most Cable Modem providers change the community string on the
modem.
AT&T Broadband, Comcast, and Time Warner for sure change there SNMP
community strings.
With that in mind there is a known bug with the  DOCSIS standard on most
modems to allow ANY SNMP community string for RO operations.  Sometimes an
Access list is put on the Cable modem to not allow SNMP traffic through the
Ethernet port to remedy the above problem.   You will also have to jump
through hoops to get your Cable modem IP address.

If you are a Network Engineer in charge of Cable modem however you will have
no problem getting the SNMP info from the cable modems.
If you are a customer, it is very hard if not impossible. ( And Designed
that way)

> You should be able to use the standard DOCSIS Mib for your cable modem.
The