[mrtg] Graph spikes with RRD log format

Greg Reaume greg at reaume.name
Wed Jul 3 18:08:05 MEST 2002

I apologize in advance if this has been asked and resolved, but I've
seen quite a few references to this in the archives but no definite
resolution.

Why is it that, if a device goes down or misses a poll due to packet
loss, in the next poll I almost always see a huge spike in the tens of
Mbps?  I understand that with MRTGs native log format it is easy to get
rid of this spike.  Is this also so with an RRD log format?  If so, how?
These spikes really ruin my long-term graph resolution.

I'd appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Greg Reaume