[mrtg] Re: Alert on No Response

Koelstra, J. (Jan) JKoelstra at MINSZW.NL
Wed Jul 17 09:27:50 MEST 2002

The '.log' file gets updated with a timestamp every time MRTG starts,
and if you get any time-out on an snmp-request this is recorded too.
(This is the case with 2.9.17)

Jan.

-----Original Message-----
From: jrb [mailto:JeffWorking at hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 9:12 AM
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Re: Alert on No Response

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  There were some good ideas, but I
think Garth's suggestion to run a separate SNMP query will be the best
solution for me.  Jan's idea to use the '--logging' option may actually
be the better choice (since it's a direct test of MRTG's success), but
I'm forced to use an older version of MRTG, before the '--logging'
option was added.

It just occurred to me that I can redirect stderr, so that may be the
way to go afterall.

I also wanted to include some notes, in case anyone else searches the
archives for this problem.  I believe GREPing the '.log' or '.html'
files would only detect a problem after the device started responding
again, since MRTG doesn't write to these files if the SNMP query
times-out.  Thresholds in the '.cfg' file are also not triggered if the
query times-out, as far as I can tell.

I believe the above is accurate for 2.9.6 and 2.9.21.  Please let me
know if I'm mistaken.

Thanks again,
jrb