[mrtg] What stats are people monitoring?

Jeff Bolden Jeff.Bolden at sterlingsavings.com
Wed Jul 17 22:27:33 MEST 2002

Well, I am pulling stats down from 100+ routers and have more info than I could possibly imagine... =) But it got me thinking about what info is "critical" and what is just "nice to have" stuff. MRTG makes it easy to get data-overload. Soo....

I was curious as to exactly what stats people are pulling from routers for monitoring. I'm pulling some of the more obvious ones like Traffic, Errors, Discards, FECNs/BECNs, Utilization, CPU and Data Buffers used for my Frame links, and Traffic, Collisions, and Errors on my Ethernet side. What else are people pulling to get the "big picture" of the health of the WAN at your location, and why? =)

I feel like I'm missing something, but I've been staring at CFG's and OID's for too long and can't think of anything... =)

Jeff Bolden