[mrtg] AW: HP JetDirect question (yes, read thru all the threads in the archive..)

"Helmert, Jörg" Joerg.Helmert at EINSTEINet.de
Fri Jul 26 09:44:55 MEST 2002

Hi Niclas,

what you get is "number of pages per elapsed time".
This is kind of speed, not pagecount.
If you change timebase for your speed, you get different numbers.

If you want to calculate absolute numbers out of speed,
you need the info, how long you printed with that speed.

Example:
you print 5 pages.
mrtg measures number of printed pages every 5 minutes.
mrtg calculates average speed for this.
You get an average speed of 5 pages/5 minutes which is
around 0.016 pages/second.
Since this is a float below 1, mrtg would show zero.

Therfore another timebase:
perminute: gives you 1 pages/min
perhour: gives you 60 pages/hour

But its all the same speed.
Lets calculate back to pages printed.

You actually don't know, how long the printer took to print 5 pages.
You only know: It took less than 5 minutes cause you look only every 5
minutes.

persecond: speed 0.01666666 pages/second multiplied by 5 minutes (300 s)
	0.01666666 p/s * 300 s = 5 pages

permin: speed 1 page/min multiplied by 5 minutes
      1 p/min * 5 min = 5 pages

perhour: speed 60 pages/hour multiplied by 5 minutes (0,0833333 hours)
      60 p/h * 0,0833333h = 5 pages

So:
You change timebase from 5 minutes to one hour but you still measure every
5 minutes. Therefore the number changes. But if you take the units (hour,
second...)
into account, you still have the same speed.

Regarding maxbytes:
I guess somone (maybe me ;-)) took the max speed of the printer.
This is counted in pages per minute.
If you measure per hour, this value should be multiplied by 60.
24 pages/min * 60 min/hour = 1440 pages/hour.

If you have a printer, which does 17 pages per minute, you should take
17 pages/min * 60 min/hour = 1020 pages/hour.

This is the maximum speed the printer can reach...
... measured in pages per hour.

The doubled AbsMax is just to loose nothing, if you get more than max.
I'm not sure, if the given maximum pages/min is really the max.
It might be a value for black and white printing with a
"normal" Text page.
Maybe you get pages with only a few letters even faster than this.

bye,

Joerg