[mrtg] Problem with a Cisco 678 dsl router

Derek Schaible dschaible at cssiinc.com
Tue Jul 30 14:53:07 MEST 2002

Hello,

I hope someone can help me with this one.  I have a Cisco 678 DSL router
that I'm trying to graph just the traffic for now, but I can't get
anything from it.  I can snmpwalk it, but it dosen't show any traffic in
the log file or the graphs.  Here's a sample from my config.  I've tried
using 1,2,3,4 and 5 in the target but they all produce the same null
effect:

Target[adsl-router]: 2:mrtg2 at 168.103.79.62:
WithPeak[adsl-router]: dwmy
#Directory:[adsl-router]: /var/www/html/mrtg
Options[adsl-router]: bits
MaxBytes[adsl-router]: 1250000	#I bumped this up to ethernet so it
should graph something.
Title[adsl-router]: Traffic Analysis for ADSL

The log file shows only:

1028033101 0 0
1028033101 0 0 0 0
1028032801 0 0 0 0
1028032800 0 0 0 0
1028032500 0 0 0 0
1028032200 0 0 0 0
1028031900 0 0 0 0
1028031600 0 0 0 0
1028031300 0 0 0 0
1028031000 0 0 0 0
1028030700 0 0 0 0

Etc...

I know it's not my firewall, as snmpwalk can hit it.

I am successfully  monitoring several other routers, switches and
servers with mrtg so I know I'm doing something right!

However, snmpwalk does report the following error when I walk any
device:

[user at host ~]# snmpwalk adsl-eth0 public
Unlinked OID in HOST-RESOURCES-MIB: host ::= { mib-2 25 }
Undefined identifier: mib-2 near line 9 of
/usr/share/snmp/mibs/hostmib.mib
Did not find 'hrMIBAdminInfo' in module HOST-RESOURCES-MIB
(/usr/share/snmp/mibs/HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES.txt)
Did not find 'hrStorage' in module HOST-RESOURCES-MIB
(/usr/share/snmp/mibs/HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES.txt)
Did not find 'hrDevice' in module HOST-RESOURCES-MIB
(/usr/share/snmp/mibs/HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES.txt)
Unlinked OID in HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES: hostResourcesTypesModule ::= {
hrMIBAdminInfo 4 }
Undefined identifier: hrMIBAdminInfo near line 7 of
/usr/share/snmp/mibs/HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES.txt
Unlinked OID in HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES: hrFSTypes ::= { hrDevice 9 }
Undefined identifier: hrDevice near line 226 of
/usr/share/snmp/mibs/HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES.txt
Unlinked OID in HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES: hrDeviceTypes ::= { hrDevice 1 }
Undefined identifier: hrDevice near line 108 of
/usr/share/snmp/mibs/HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES.txt
Unlinked OID in HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES: hrStorageTypes ::= { hrStorage 1 }
Undefined identifier: hrStorage near line 37 of
/usr/share/snmp/mibs/HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES.txt
Cannot adopt OID in HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES: hostResourcesTypesModule ::= {
hrMIBAdminInfo 4 }

Am I missing MIB's?  Where might I go to find them?  My searches have
turned nothing that I seem to need.  All the MIB's I have are the
standard ones that ship with RedHat 7.3 plus some extra ones for
Windows.  This seems like an odd error to get.

It's strange that I can monitor Cisco 37xx routers, Dell, HP and Cisco
switches, linux servers and Win2K servers, but not a cisco 678....

Please help!  This is driving me insane!!!

TIA,
Derek