[mrtg] Finally going to make the move

Leonard Miller Leonard_Miller at udlp.com
Wed Jul 31 22:08:24 MEST 2002

I finally have time to get RRD and MRTG running to monitor my
equipment.
Here's the deal.

I have used MRTG before on a couple of devices, but never
intergrated with RRD and CGI's.

I have about 120 Cisco switches, 80 APC UPS's and
170 printers(mostly HP, I don't care about the others).
These numbers are approximate, but close enough for gov't work.
I want to start monitoring there traffic, tempterature, battery status,
etc..etc...

Dell PowerEdge 350
PentiumIII 850
512 ram
2x20 gig HDD
RedHat 7.2

As it stands now, nothing else will be running on this machine.

>From what I have read from the docs and list,
the best way to do this would be to have MRTG
poll the devices periodically for the data, create the logs
using the RRD format and then use a cgi to create the graphs
on-the-fly from a link.

Have I got that right?  If anybody has a brief tutorial, that would
be appreciated.  I have seen a lot of 14all.cgi talk, is that the best

for this kind of thing?  Will it handle what I need it to do?

This will all be tested on a separate machine before going into
production.
Digital 3000
PentiumII 300
256ram