[mrtg] Re: Question about MRTG and backups

Sanjeev_Chaddha at mcginley.co.uk Sanjeev_Chaddha at mcginley.co.uk
Sun Jun 30 17:14:54 MEST 2002

I am not sure if this is a really stupid idea but why not enable IP
accounting on the boxes in question and  perhaps you could use the stats
from this to work out how much traffic is as a result of backups. I think
ip accounting shows source, destination, number of packets and bytes used.
There might be a way of retrieving this information via SNMP, you would
then have how much data has passed over the link with specific source and
destination addresses.

Regards

Sanjeev

                      "Dana Hudes"
                      <dhudes at hudes.org        To:       <mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
                      >                        cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [mrtg] Re: Question about MRTG and backups
                      mrtg-bounce at list.
                      ee.ethz.ch

                      30/05/02 14:55

If you are running on your public network SNMP will not tell you anything
of the destination IP address or port . You can still get some info with
MRTG if you use iptables/ipchains because you can get the # of times the
rule fires. I don't believe, however, ipchains can report volume but I
haven't looked and I don't have that hooked up.
If you have a Cisco switch or router, or Juniper (and I *think* Extreme
might support it too) you can
use Cisco NetFlow export and Flowscan. That uses rrdtool. Once you have
everything in rrdtool
you can piece things together.

>From a network architecture perspective, I'd rather see you have a private
backup network at the LAN level at least.

http://www.hudes.org