[mrtg] Re: Forking MRTG

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat Jun 1 00:14:32 MEST 2002

Yesterday Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> >     I decided to check out Forks and see what effect it has on data
> > collection...  How do I tell if it's working, tho?  I added it to the
> > config and ran MRTG (2.9.18pre12) but I still only see the one instance
> > of mrtg in the process list ('ps -ef'  and  'ps auxef')
> >
> > I'm running this on a RedHat 6.2 system.  Any info appreciated...
> > Thanks!
> >

> You can tell forking is working by watching top. When a new
> poll sequence begins (after <inteval> seconds) you should see
> one mrtg process per fork specified in the config file. So
> if you set Forks: 10 you should see 10 MRTG processes right
> after the poll sequence begins. They'll die relatively quickly,
> so you might need to run top in 1 second intervals instead of
> the 5sec default. I don't like the forking mechanism for the
> reasons listed in:
>
> http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/mrtg/msg13364.html
>
> Actually, I should say don't completely _understand_ how the
> forking mechanism works, so I have elected to use multiple
> daemons instead (at the cost of extra memory).

Greg,

The Forking mechanism splits the workload into as many forks as
defined ... by the config file ...

your problem with the router going offline does not get solved by
this ... but it does not become worse either. What could be done
about it is to make mrtg kill all other queries to the same host if
one comes back without answer ... would this help ?

cheers
tobi

> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://google.com/search?q=tobi