[mrtg] Re: Forking MRTG

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat Jun 1 09:25:40 MEST 2002

Yesterday Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com wrote:

> > The Forking mechanism splits the workload into as many forks as
> > defined ... by the config file ...
> >

> Does each fork hit one target, or does each one hit n targets where
> n = total_targets/forks ?

each fork hits n targets ...

> When I tried forking, it seemed like the forked mrtg's died
> very quickly - indicating to me that the forked processes
> were only hitting a few targets each, and then the main mrtg
> process would continue on and hit the rest of them.

the reason for forking is to battle snmp latency, so with forking
several snmp requests run in paralelle. Unless your targets are
very fast and cole this can give you an almost linear speedup ...

> > your problem with the router going offline does not get solved by
> > this ... but it does not become worse either. What could be done
> > about it is to make mrtg kill all other queries to the same host if
> > one comes back without answer ... would this help ?
> >

> That would be very useful to be able to skip queries to known
> dead hosts. Is there a global config command that does this?

not yet :-)

tobi

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland