[mrtg] Re: MRTG 3?

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Jun 19 15:06:31 MEST 2002

>>> "David Mitchell" <mitchelld at sunman.co.uk> 06/19/02 06:02AM >>>

<snip>

>One way of speeding up the RRD based tools occurred to me, which is a
>"hybrid' of the way Rateup and RRD work. The performance hit on rateup is
>generating the graphs, the hit on RRD is parsing the config files (plus I
>like the static web pages and the ability to use indexmaker). So how about
>the following - generate the web pages from MRTG (as with rateup) but
>instead of running rateup and embedding a link to the resulting file, embed
>a link to a (simple) CGI that produces a graph from RRD - the CGI can be
>passed all the info it needs directly (Log file location, colours, sizes,
>format etc) rather than having to parse the config file (in fact it could
>probably be passed a similar command line to rateup!) which would make the
>cgi run much faster.  In fact the HTML pages might only need to be generated
>on the first run through the MRTG polling loop (if running deamonised).
>Although it just occurred to me that HTML might not let you do this so the
>whole page might need to be a CGI with the RRD calls embedded in the page...

There's no need for a "hybrid" solution, that's what 14all does already.
If I want a specific rrd's file information, I just put a link like so...

http://your.web.server/cgi-bin/14all.cgi?cfg=nameof.cfg&log=target.name_index

Understand?  It's pretty easy to do, and you can also add &png=whatever and you'll only get the specific time period (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly)
- you can also add your own if you'd like.  I added one called "last12" and made it graph the last 12 hours worth of 5 minute samples.  Makes it very easy
for my Network Control Center to see in detail what's happening with
a link.

>unfortunately my Perl is not up to this (at least not in any sensible
>timeframe)!

This has nothing to do with Perl, more to do with how you design your own MRTG website.

Paul