[mrtg] MRTG and ifName references question

Sailor, Jason (CCI-Orange County) Jason.Sailor at cox.com
Fri Jun 21 01:03:15 MEST 2002

I'm a bit new to the list, so please bear with me.

We added an RiverStone 8600 to our network yesterday, running a version of code I'm not familiar with, and for some reason, MRTG won't resolve the ifName entries if I use the v2c option...  It gives me the error:

WARNING: Could not match host:'community at switch:::::2' ref:'Name' key:'et.2.1'

but if I do an snmpwalk with v2c, I can get the ifNames fine:

snmpwalk -c community -v2c switch ifName
ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifName.1 = et.2.1
ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifName.2 = et.2.2
ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifName.3 = et.2.3
ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifName.4 = et.2.4
ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifName.5 = et.2.5
etc...

What, specifically, needs to be supported to use ifName and SNMPv2c in MRTG???

Thanks for any help!!!

	Jason Sailor
	jason.sailor at cox.com